The Fox Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Fox Den

The Fox Den is for all animal lovers to come and discuss whatever type of animal they have, exotic or domestic.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wow, that was pretty interesting.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vulpesvulpes
Admin
Vulpesvulpes

Wow, that was pretty interesting. Empty
PostSubject: Wow, that was pretty interesting.   Wow, that was pretty interesting. EmptyFri May 15, 2009 1:56 pm

This morning at about 11:00 I went outside and noticed a female white-tail deer right between my pasture and the neighbor's, about 100 feet away from me. I didn't think much of it as we have deer all over the place and it is not uncommon to see them during the day.
About a half hour later the doe was back, and she seemed stressed. Then Rusty (my horse) started blowing and acting alarmed. I saw a tiny little baby fawn fall out of the tall grass and into the horse pasture. I didnt want anything to happen to it but I didnt want to touch it either.
I heard hoofbeats and I looked to see Rusty racing towards the fawn, the momma deer took off, fearing for her own safety. I ran out into the pasture and screamed at him, but he didn't stop. A known small animal chaser I knew if he reached the fawn he would kill it. I ran as fast as I could and reached the fawn just as he did. I didnt want to touch it but he lifted his hoof to stomp it so I had no choice, I snatched the tiny baby from beneath him and chased him off.
With a tiny fawn in my arms I walked from the pasture and out of danger. I didn't see the momma deer anywhere. The little baby was a buck and had the prettiest little head and the biggest blue eyes I had ever seen (I don't know if the eyes were supposed to be blue but they were).
Momma came back several times but each time I tried to return the baby she took off. I even tried to leave it by itself where I could see it but she still wouldn't come get it. I was afraid that if she smelled people on the little buck she would either abandon or even worse, kill him.
I was thinking of where I had put the numbers for the wildlife rehabilitator when the momma came back again. The baby began to call and the momma came closer. I took him out to the woods again and backed off, way off. This time the momma walked all the way up to the baby without taking off. I watched nervously, hoping she would take him back and not kill him. Gee I wish I didn't have to touch him!
She bagan to talk to him and lick him, I breathed a big sigh of releif. I sat and watched momma and baby wander off in the woods until I couldn't see them anymore.
Back to top Go down
https://thefoxden.forumotion.net

Wow, that was pretty interesting.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Fox Den :: Hoofed Critters :: Deer-
Jump to: